Sunday, June 24, 2012

Bit by bit



Sunday nite...and I've been putting in several hours a day this week on my dragonfly piece..   Bit by bit, I think I'm beginning to see the full picture.  And also, as the design unfolds, I find new ideas as to how I want to "dimensionalize" this work.  I have used the word "dimensionalize" for my work in bas relief for some time...not sure it's an official dictionary term, but surely works for my purpose.  I know I want to have the dragonfly wings lift off the backdrop in some say, and probably one half of wing differently than the other.  I am still looking for the right lacing patteren (i.e., rolling the clay with a piece of actual lace) as I move toward the final steps.

I have signed on for two shows in 2013 -- one at Art Works and one at Glen Allen Cultural Arts Center.  Interesting here that the location will determine the content.  Glen Allen, as a "family art center" does not allow nudes.  And my first plan was to have "Artist as Muse" be at both locations.  Now, however, I am aware that I will have to have a separate body of work for Glen Allen (..."finding a way in clay...) and "Artist as Muse" nudes for the show at Art Works.  Perhaps a good thing as I will be able to alternate my involvement, perhaps sparking my imagination in both areas. 

Grateful to have been given two new "tools" this week -- two very small screwdrivers ... tiny, tiny.   Finding the right tool for the specific task always the challenge.  And tools come from anywhere between the ceramic catalogues to a kitchen supply store.  And now, these two from a hardware store.  

As well, the "decorative elements  creating a work always open to susggestion.  For the last tree design which is now waiting bisque, I actually am wavering between using moss-like bits probably used on miniature train layouts ... and the tiny confetti that pops out of the small pop toys found in a party shop.   In the challenges, the choices, and the commitment come the excitement and the joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment